I’ve been waiting to make this cake for a while. I’ve always wanted to do a pool cake. This is a smaller version of an idea I have for a beach resort scene, but the party was only going to be about 40 people so I didn’t need anything that large.
I’ve always found candy apples appealing. Their shine, the smooth texture of the candy coating, the crunch. Although I do love the bright red colour, I thought it would be interesting to play on colour and try a swap – make the apples the colour of the contain and the container the colour of the apples. For this project, I used white colouring instead of red for the apples and put in butterscotch flavour to compliment the apple. The candy bowl I made cherry flavour.
I got to experiment with a few new techniques with these cookies – rice wafer paper flowers and mesh stencils. I made some rice paper flowers, lightly dusted with a mixture of gold and bronze. It was tricky getting the flowers curled and to stay curled. Rice paper is hard to work with as if you get it too wet, it turns to mush but if its not wet enough it cracks. I think it would be easier with a larger flower, but I like the delicate look of wafer paper flowers.
I also got to work with mesh stencils for the music notes. Getting the consistency of the royal icing was a bit tricky, and working with a cookie was hard as you have to keep the stencil flat against the surface or the transfer doesn’t work as well. I didn’t mind that the image was a bit faded as I wanted a bit of an antique look to the cookies.
I will be on the lookout for more cookie and cake stencils as the detail level you can get is amazing, and the time to make something that looks really fancy is so much smaller than doing hand painting or other ‘by hand’ techniques.
My brother’s birthday is this week, and he is a Dr. Who fan like myself, so I couldn’t resist combining my Sci-Fi interests once again with baking.Chocolate making isn’t something I do very often but sometimes I do use it when making cakes, but I did just chocolate this time. Bulk Barn had exactly the right colour of dark blue chocolate so I didn’t even have to colour it!
I made a large, hollow Tardis with solid chocolate mini-Tardis and Daleks. I experimented with filling them with ganache and was successful with a few, but because of the difficult shapes, I found it very hard to get them out of the mold without cracking the outer chocolate shell. Solid chocolate worked based for the smaller ones.
I haven’t done a full 3D hollow chocolate before so this was a first. I bought some binder clamps from the dollar store for this one. I filled 1/2 the mold with the chocolate and then clamped the 2 halves together. I shook and twisted the clamped molds around and then put into the freezer to harden.
Next time I make these, I’ll make sure to brush both sides of the mold with a layer of chocolate before attaching and shaking. I had a few instances of air bubbles along the sides so I’d rather have a nice, covered surface next time to avoid bubbles.
They came out of the mold so well; I was very pleased with the results.
This year, I used a familiar template but changed it up a bit. This cottage was based on my thatched roof watermill. I love doing thatch because it actually takes less time than shingles. Shredded Wheat cereal works really well once cut in half and then pulled into smaller bits.
Ice cream cone trees are always a nice touch. I don’t use them as often as they do take a lot more time to create than the crispy rice cereal bushes.
The bride asked me for a ruffled cake in white and teal. She wanted something modern, minimal and classic looking. The ruffled image she showed me just didn’t say ‘modern’ to me, so we went with a similar look but with less frill to the ruffles and a smoother, cleaner line.
Normally I try and do as much edible on my creations as possible, but the teal gemstone wrap would have taken way too long to do in sugar for the budget on this project. The look didn’t suffer at all. The whole cake was covered in a layer of shimmer dust to make it sparkle.
I loved this project and would totally do it again – or do it on a larger scale. The cupcakes figures I started modelling with gumpaste, but found the texture just wasn’t right for Lego. I moved to chocolate and that gave the little guys the perfect sheen for plastic.
The cupcakes themselves I did both vanilla and chocolate (dark and light side). The vanilla cupcakes I paired with bubblegum buttercream filling and the chocolate with vanilla.
This black ruffled cake was just an experiment with the ruffle fondant technique. I also decided to practice doing gumpaste flowers and I tried my hand and rice wafer paper flowers. The cake ended up looking a bit like a hat.
I had done gingerbread boxes before with results I was happy with. I had done fondant and royal icing decor on the outside and they looked nice. I wanted to step things up a bit and try a new technique.
For the lid on this box, I knew I wanted to do stained glass. I’ve wanted to do stained glass for a while now and this was the prefect project. I pipped very soft gingerbread and used hard candies for the glass.
This box was for a fan of the TV show Game of Thrones, so I also tired my hand a piping one of the family sigils from the show in gingerbread for the front of the box. The wolf head worked out well, I made several that survived the baking process – some didn’t survive the application process, but I had enough to work with.
Both of these techniques I will be using again in the future.
This little house I did as a gift for someone who watched my cats while I was away. Its been a while since I did the rounded shingles and I wanted to do something besides the standard red and white for Christmas. I like this silver, blue and white combination.
Crispy rice makes excellent bushes, but it also makes for some great hedges as well.